John 8:1-11 A Merciful Gospel


It is amazing to me that the overt-self-righeousness of the Pharisees is no different than the covert sinful inclinations of my heart. I judge others on behalf of my own self-righteousness rather than viewing them through the lens of the Gospel which not only shows me their need but it also humbles me to see my own sin. The Gospel humbles me to help those in sin rather than judging them and yet my heart is so deceptive that I will often use the Gospel as a spring board to judge others against my own self-righteousness. As a result I make the Gospel cliche to those who are hurting in sin. The Gospel becomes a token of abuse rather than the light and life of mankind.

The amazing conclusion to this passage is Christ's authority. Those who seemed to have authority or the right to condemn were baffled by Christ. Christ does not condemn her! He had every right to condemn her. He gave her life. He gave her existence. He made her in His image. He graced her with life and provision. And she casts it away and perverts God's gracious intentions just as I do when I judge other upon my self-righteousness. Yet oh- how wonderful!- the Gospel is a merciful reality. It is merciful beyond our understanding, for God uses sin sinlessly to magnify his Son in the Gospel. He is merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, for the sake of his ultimate enjoyment in magnifying himself through the Gospel. This is surely Trinitarian Joy!