Fight Club: Lesson 5 - Able to Teach

Consider the following excerpt from D.A.Carson.

As someone who has taught seminary students or more than 15 years. I worry about the rising number of seminarians who, when asked where and how they think they might best serve, respond with something like this, “Well, I think I would like to teach somewhere. Every time I have taught, people have told me I have done a pretty good job. I get tremendous sense of fulfillment out of teaching the Bible. I think I could be satisfied teaching Scripture.”

How pathetic. I know pagans who find satisfaction and fulfillment by teaching nuclear physics. In any Christina view of life, self-fulfillment must never be permitted to become the controlling issue. The issue is service, the service of real people. The question is, “How can I be most useful?”, not “How can I feel most useful?”[1]

Here Carson makes so clear that it is not what I do that makes my work sacred but rather why I do it.[2] It is therefore necessary for the overseer to be able to teach yet with concern for his God and propagation of the His Good News into lives of those who are spiritually dead or hurting.

Discuss: What type of satisfaction do I find in standing before people and heralding the truth of God’s Word?

The ability to teach would involve a level of education and knowledge but also a life that conforms to the teaching and exemplifies the teaching. The ability to teach involves an awareness of the world, Satan and his devices, and the tendencies of the sinful heart. A teacher must be a physician of the soul who can remedy the heart with the truth of God’s Word.

Simply, teaching is the ability to communicate and apply the truth of Scripture with clarity, coherence, and fruitfulness. Those who have this ability to handle the Scripture with fidelity, and others are edified when they do so. This ability is not limited to public teaching…they (overseers) may have stronger gifts one-on-one or in small groups.[3]

Answer the following questions:

1. In what venues have you had the opportunities to teach?

2. How have you taken critique from you opportunities to teach?

3. What is your hearts reaction when you see others getting the opportunities to teach when you are not receiving the opportunities you would like?

4. What does it mean to be dedicated to exposition?

5. What does it mean to have pastoral sensibility in teaching?

6. If you were asked to teach on a variety of subjects, would you confident that your life already conforms to your teaching?
7. Are you teachable?

8. What are some academic areas you are theologically and doctrinally weak in?

Read: Dave Harvey, Am I Called? Discerning the Summons to Ministry. p.33-46

[1] D. A. Carson, A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 1992) 82-83.

[2] Paraphrased from A.W. Tozer, God’s Little Instruction Book for Dad, (Colorado Springs, CO: Honor Books, 1994)19.

[3] Under Able to Teach, Anyabwile, Thabiti. "Pure Church." Blog Spot. December 14, 2007.