Fear of Man or the Son of Man


(I am beginning more clearly to see that... this is my story!)

The fear of man is a silent killer. Sadly, for years many of us (including myself) have interacted in relationships with underlying desires to acquire acceptance and approval before others. This is demonstrated in a variety of ways. It is not always that one will seek out relationships with the intention of getting praise from another. Rather, some will cower in silence refusing to interact in relationships for the purpose of preserving a reputation. This one's interaction will be reserved and well thought through before ever contributing a word. Sadly he is motivated by how others perceive him and his potential failure before them. Therefore he is not quick to respond to situations nor to involve himself with others in order that over time his reputation might be established without flaw by way of external appearance. He at times is extemely passive with the motivation of not ruining "all the work" he has put forward in establishing himself before others.

Unfortunately, he never thinks in these categories. He goes along in his relationship with the Lord being aware of his discomfort around people but never being aware of this silent killer that screams of rebellion in the face of God.

So what brings life? What frees this man to love God and love others as he was intended to? Personally, two truths about Christ have been life giving in regard to the fear of man. First, my reputation is in Christ. He is my acceptance and approval! There is no "work" that I have to do in Christ to put myself forward in order to be looked up to by others. My acceptance is before God! In fact it may be that God would have me fail - that my reputation might be shattered in order that my self-centered boasting might be put to death and that Christ might be put forward.

Second, the fear of man is suddenly quenched when the fear of God becomes a functional truth in the heart of the believer. Not only is Christ my acceptance and approval before God but Christ is my King. He is the King who is worthy to receive the praise of all of creation. He is the King who is given all authority to judge and rule. He will strike down the nations of the world with a sharp sword from his mouth and he will rule all nations with a rod of iron.

Just read Revelation and consider that the sin of the fear of man puts me forward as king of my life and assumes I can bring life to others. This is an assault upon the throne of Jesus Christ. This is the spirit of Satan and his anti-christ. Who am I to boast in myself when the King stands before me now to impart grace to make much of himself through me for his glory and my good. I have something to offer others, its Christ... and he often times is most clearly seen when I have been humbled and my self-centered reputation has been shattered.

Fear of Man is just a grown-up's word for Peer Pressure. It's amazing how sophisticated we make it the more "mature" we become, yet how equally foolish it is!