Religion vs. the Gospel: pt. 2

this is adapted from Tim Keller
Religion:

1. When circumstances in my life go wrong, I am angry at God or myself, since I believe, life Job's frineds that anyone who is good deserves a comfortable life.

2. When I am criticized I am furious and devastated because it is critical that I think of myself as a 'good person'. Threats to that self-image must be destroyed at all costs.

3. My prayer life consists largely of petition and it only heats up when I am in a time of need. My main purpose in prayer is control of the environment.

Gospel:

1. When circumstances in my life go wrong, i struggle but I know all by punishment fell on Jesus and that while he may allow this for my training, he will exercise his Fatherly love within my trial.

2. When I am crticized I struggle, but it is not critical for me to think of myself as a 'good person'. My identity is not built on my record or my performance but on God's love for me in Christ. I can take criticism. That's how I became a Christian.

3. My prayer life consists of generous stretches of praise and adoration. My main purpose is fellowship with Him.